Followers

January 9, 2013

Hmmmm meatloaf!

Salaaam y'all! I didn't cook last night; Aaminah ate a banana, a meat stick (ok ok a Slim Jim but Allah, I'm ashamed to say that! LOL), a cheese stick and a small roll with butter. Yeah. Didn't win any "Mom of the Year" awards with that meal but... I was soooo tired and sometimes we just gotta deal. :)

I decided I should really up my game today so for breakfast we had turkey sausage with some fried potatoes (a very southern any-time staple!) and then I made a kickin' dinner masha'Allah. :) Homemade meatloaf (with one shortcut), homemade "smashed" potatoes and peas.









Hmmm that's some good eatin' y'all! ;) If anyone is interested in the recipe, here goes:


2 lbs ground beef (I typically use 85/15 but all they had was 80/20 that day so I had more fat to drain)
2 eggs, beaten
half a sleeve stale crackers (doesn't everyone have some of these lurking in their cabinet?? lol)
about 1/2 a cup uncooked quick-cook oats
1 tbsp (more or less to taste) of Turkish red pepper paste. I adore this stuff!!!
salt n pepper
half an onion, finely diced

Now I typically add a grated carrot, some chopped (dry sauteed) mushrooms... really any veg I wanna round it out with. However, we have been trying to not keep as much food around the house that might spoil so I opted not to buy carrots this time. Just keep in mind you can use more veg and less meat. Spinach is good in it too as well as cabbage, finel chopped or grated. Trust me.

OK so normally I would use tomato paste thinned with milk or just ketchup but they had the meatloaf fixin's by Hunt's on sale for $1 a can. It has more spices and some "vegetables" in it so I went with it.

Mix everything, adding the beef last. You never wanna overwork it if possible to keep it more tender. Then bake, in a 350 oven for 1 hour. Take out, try to drain it off (I ended up using a plastic syringe as my turkey baster is out of commission!) and squirt a lil ketchup on top. Pop it back in the oven for 15 to 20 more minutes and you're done! We like to be sure our meat, especially ground, is cooked through. I don't overcook food but meatloaf is better with a crusty outter edge. Trust me. :)

It turned out very moist (thanks to the fillers of crackers and oats) and tasty. We made a BIG batch (2 lbs!) but we will eat it for a couple of days, maybe give some away. That's just how we roll. ;)

Oh I got Aaminah the cutest lil outfit at the used store the other day for $7! It was brand-new, one of those little boutique outfits with the ruffly legs. We had actually made of them before but when I saw this one in the store, well I changed my mind. It was so cute! Here is the pic:








6 comments:

Banana Anne said...

Looks and sounds delicious Masha'Allah!

Karima said...

I so love cute girls clothes with ruffles!

Anonymous said...

Assalamu alaikum sister.nice post.

Laila Alawa said...

That sounds so yummy, mashallah! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe!

Laila
www.alfennmosaic.com

quran skype said...

very nicely posted.

Mommy said...

salam :-) no updates for months, hope you're all doing well and inshallah you're in good health.