Followers

June 6, 2010

Ain't she purty?


A'salaamu alaikum ya'll. I bought this doll waaay before I had Aaminah. I got her for $1 at a yard sale along with another cute one. However they were both naked. lol So I made clothes of a sort for the one and gave it to Aliyah, my friend's beautiful little girl who is very much missed.

I kept the other one, intending to make clothes for it some day. Eventually. One day in the hazy future. :-)

Well fastforward what, 3 years at least and wow here I am. I have a sewing machine now and wanted to start with some small projects. My goal is to be able to make alot of our own clothing, at least the simple things. Undershirts, the tie-back khimars I adore, and maybe some abayaat insha'Allah.

Anyway I thought this little outfite turned out pretty cute. I know I definitely need to work on my planning skills and not try to rush but overall I felt this was a good experience. Even though you can't see it, all of the edges are hemmed so I was pretty proud of that accomplishment. I didn't take too many shortcuts!

So I give her ot Aaminah and there is like 0 interest. lol She liked her a little when she was naked. I am kinda surprised because Aaminah loves my hijab, will bring it to me when I am ready to pray or leave the house and is very aware of it. I thought she'd love having a colorful version of her mama. Guess I was wrong! lol

Overall it took me about 30 minutes to do it, maybe less. I had one false start. ;-) It cost nothing as far as immediate expenditures because I already had the fabric, was a scrap, and well I bought the machine for many uses not to make clothes for a doll. So mark this up under frugal and fun for mama.

Ma salaama ya'll!

2 comments:

jazain said...

yes she is purty!! kids are kids lol. you think they want to play with something magnificent but instead play with the box in which it came. never fails. BUT if you continue to place great value over those dolls, one day she will value and appreciate them as she grows older. i promise.

Umm Aaminah said...

Salaam sis. I know my sons always loved the big cardboard boxes. They would roll in them, make forts (ok houses!) and in general have a great time!

Just wanted you to know I miss your postings and pray for things to look up for you. Aameen!

Ma salaam.