Followers

December 24, 2009

Random thoughts


*The title on this graphic said "dua" so insha'allah it will remind us all to make frequent supplications to Allah swt, something I personally forget to do as often as I should.*

Well not that I don't have any ideas for a dedicated post but I have so many little things flying around my mind today I thought I should let them out before my head explodes. lol Once again, list girl here, so bear with the numerals. :-)

1. I hate xmas now. OK that isn't fair; obviously I don't celebrate it but as someone raised Christian I do love the beauty of the lights and decorations and the fact that families actually get together at least once during the year.

That said... I hate it!!! For the past week I've needed to go to Wal-Mart but was stymied at every turn! lol It was rammed, jammed, packed in, the entire parking lot full. I'm thinking... what?? I needed that mix of items that you can't really get anywhere else except a discount store. Diaper wipes, facial cleaning cloths, a rug for my van, canned pumpkin, etc. etc. I finally made it out at 8am this morning and was just in a normal busy crowd. lol

2. Do people really still think the southern US is backwards? My husband to be, masha'allah tabarakallah, is so cute. He keeps telling me these little tidbits of info gleaned about the south from who? Danged ole yankees! ;-) Things like, and I kid you not: southerners only deal in cash and the whole place is a backwater, redneck, KKK card-carrying member paradise. These are just two of the little gems he has picked up and asked me about.

I am sure part of it is tongue-in-cheek but I really think there is still this lack of understanding that we actually have progressed some since the Civil War. You know, I love Tennessee. East TN to be exact. ;-) I was raised to say yes ma'am and no sir, to help out my fellow man, and how to make the best biscuits and cornbread. ;-) So see? Ain't nuthin' wrong 'bout being from the South and ain't nuthin' wrong with sayin' ain't'. lol

3. Diet Rite should not be allowed to sit by the other tasty diet drinks. Sorry all I have to say on this subject. :-)

4. I have become horrifyingly inept. I can no longer make a decision and it's annoying the life out of me! I mean important things, yeah no sweat. It's the LITTLE THINGS that are getting me. For example, A wants to buy me a nice wedding ring. Nice as in I have never had jewelry this nice before (most of mine always came from Avon so there you go!).

I can't pick one. I can't. I mean the options are STAGGERING. Really. Now of course the price is a helpful factor but not too much. There are a huge number of rings available in the price range he quoted. So I tried to look online and soon my little head was swimming. Bezel, cathedral, post mounted? What shape stone? Diamonds or plain metal or colored stone? Bling bling or simply elegant? Ya Allah. I am going to tell him my ring size and khalas, let him deal with it. I think that's best for my sanity. lol

5. A has only met one other Tunisian since he came to the US 10 yrs ago. Subhanallah. So I invited a Tunisian brother and his wife to our nikaah but alas, they are out of town. I don't think he meets many of his countrymen either because his "regret" was sincerely regretful.

6. Oh we are adding cabbage rolls to the menu. You've had stuffed grape leaves? Well Umm Wael (Sr. D's mother in law from Jordan) makes them but puts the stuffing in cabbage leaves. That overpowering tartness is diminished and they are oh-so-good. I am happy to add them to the menu and insha'allah to my take-home baggie as well.

OK I guess that's enough. Oh I am making slow-cooker chicken to make sandwiches out of; it's sooo easy it should be outlawed. I'll post the pics and short short recipe soon insha'allah.

Ma salaama and please keep us in your dua...only 2 days to go! WOO HOO!

4 comments:

Love of Islam said...

Ummm...Did you ever notice that you use some peoples' names and only use intitials for others? Like you say Aaminah and Umm Wael but use A, D, and N? LOL Also, I am not mentioned anywhere in here...I'm aware that I wasn't in town..but I could have had a nod..like on the awards shows when they do the tribute for the dead, lol.

Umm Aaminah said...

Well... as you know some people are sensitive about their names being on the internet. I don't think Aaminah is worried ;-)lol. As for no mention of you... well that's just weird is all I can say. I'm sure somewhere on here you or A was mentioned. Your A not mine. :-)

Umm Aaminah said...

Well... as you know some people are sensitive about their names being on the internet. I don't think Aaminah is worried ;-)lol. As for no mention of you... well that's just weird is all I can say. I'm sure somewhere on here you or A was mentioned. Your A not mine. :-)

Love of Islam said...

Our names...don't think so. Did you ask Umm Wael..or more to the point Wael if they were okay with their names being here? LOOOL