Followers

September 19, 2013

Another recipe :)

Notice the potholders, again? I think I'll include them in most of my food pics. :)

Salaam ya'll! I know, I know, all I seem to be posting are recipes lately. Well, truth be told, I don't have a whole lot to say. Aaminah is in school most of the day, I'm too ill to work, but we eat. Everyday. :) So it just seems to be one of those topics I have plenty of fodder for. Plus, I love to inspire and be inspired. These are really delicious.

I saw a recipe on fb for sausage biscuit "cups" and I wanted  to recreate it. However, I am really good at taking a recipe and making it mine which is exactly what I did! So here is my spin on yummy, portable turkey sausage breakfast cups. :)

Fast n Easy Turkey Sausage Biscuit Cups

1 can flaky biscuits (I usually make my own homemade; here is my recipe)
1/2 pound bulk turkey sausage- I generally add red pepper flakes and more sage to mine
1 packet pepper gravy mix (check to make sure there is no pork/sausage in it)
Shredded cheese

Then:

Preheat oven to 350. Brown your sausage; while browning meat grease a muffin tin. Line each tin with one biscuit (I used Grands) and then place a nice pinch of shredded cheese in the bottom. Stick it in the oven for 3 minute to pre-bake a bit before adding the meat mixture.

Make your gravy; I get the packet that has 2 cups yield but I only used 1.5 cups of water so it wouldn't be too wet. Add the turkey sausage to the gravy, it will be really thick. Pull your pre-baked cups out of the oven and fill each with one heaping tablespoon of meat mixture; it should mound up a bit. Top it with another generous pinch of shredded cheese.

Pop it back in the oven for about 10 minutes until brown. In my oven, this 13 minute bake was perfect: 3 before we fill them and 10 afterwards. Also I did rub a bit of softened butter along the edge of the cup to help it brown and keep it from drying out.

These were really tasty, pretty easy to make, and very portable. Handheld breakfasts rock! It would also be a good snack. There is just a tiny bit of mess as the meat mixture is moist but it's not a deal-breaker; just don't expect a toddler to eat it mess-free. :)

I hope ya'll like the recipe and iA I'll post about something else in the future. :)

No comments: