Followers

September 21, 2013

Super easy shrimp scampi with spinach



Salaam ya'll! And again with the cooking posts! But hey, I did have a couple of other things to say recently. I told ya'll about one of our summer adventures and I showed off my mad thrift-shopping skills. Or, should I say, skill-z. ;)

Anyway we were supposed to go to a fundraising dinner at our local Islamic school to support the robotics team. Of course, Aaminah is still too small for it but I want to support the programs now so when she is old enough it will be available iA. :)

Alas, my head is hurting and my mother and grandmother stopped by for a little visit so we opted to stay home. Plus today was some CRAZY, earth-drenching rain alhamdulillah and Cap'n suggested we stay home. OK he actually played the husband card and told me to stay home. :) He doesn't like me to over-exert myself and was worried about me having to take 2 girls out late in the evening. (We sometimes keep my friend's little girl J in the evenings.)

So something quick and yummy was in order and this fills the bill perfectly. Btw, I see it said "fills the bill" and "fits the bill" but I'm fairly certain it's fills since it rhymes. Menus used to be called "bills of fare" so I'm going with my version. :)

Anyway without further ado, my simple recipe for a warm, carb-filled dinner at home. See, toldja the low-carb breakfast bowl from last week was a fluke. :D

Fresh or frozen shrimp (we used shelled frozen about 20 small shrimp)
1 lb angel hair pasta
handful of spinach, fresh or frozen...
olive oil and butter (use real butter)
garlic to taste (I used about 3 tbsp minced)
Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper, to taste

Put your water on to boil and heat a pan to medium for the shrimp. Add a few good swirls of olive oil and about 1/2 a stick of butter then toss in your shrimp. Cook for a couple of minutes on the first side, then add your garlic and don't be skimpy with the pepper and salt to taste. By now you should be able to add your pasta and spinach to the boiling water (it just takes 4 minutes to cook angel hair pasta) and flip your shrimp.

Drain the pasta and place in a large bowl. Your shrimp are done when they are opaque and orange-pink. Dump the shrimp and garlic sauce on your pasta and toss it well. Top with some grated parmesan cheese if you like. Squeeze a little lemon on top to cut the richness if you prefer. Enjoy hot and say bismillah!


I read some cooking blogs and I love the way so many of them present their recipes; as if they are speaking to an old friend. I just can't do it. I'm a point A to point B kinda gal now and I want to be sure I list everything accurately. Alhamdulillah. Now, for myself, unless I'm baking I don't measure things out; it's one of the perks of being an intuitive cook. However, since some of my readers aren't gonna be as experienced, I felt I should always strive to give complete and accurate descriptions so even novice cooks can attempt the recipes. :)

Alrighty then, I'll talk to ya'll later! Ma salaama and good eating!

No comments: