Followers

March 30, 2010

Lebanese chicken with rice



A'salaamu alaikum ya'll. I made a really nice meal last night...for the first time in a long time it seems! So, see below for the recipe please. :-) Also, on a side note, I will sometimes add a different spice or use another ingredient but this recipe is pretty true to itself.

Djaj mah ruz (Lebanese chicken with rice)

8 chicken thighs, skinned
1/2 cup olive oil
juice of 1 lemon (more or less to taste)
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp thyme (I added this bec I didn't find the oregano at first! lol)
1 clove garlic, minced
sprinkling of salt

Place chicken in baking dish and mix remaining ingredients. Pour over chicken, turning to coat. Let sit for at least 3-4 hours so it absorbs the flavor. Place in a a 375 degree oven and bake for 30 min. Make sure the meaty side is down so the marinade keeps it moist as it cooks insha'Allah. Remove from oven after 30 minutes and flip the chicken and bake for another 10 minutes. Baste with pan juices.

Rice:

1.5 cups basmati rice, rinsed and drained 3 times
2.25 cups chicken broth (I use homemade; if you use canned do not add additional salt)
4 cloves
1 tsp ground coriander
fresh chopped or dried parsley
turmeric

Place all ingredients through coriander in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Bring to a boil, turn down to low and place lid. Steam rice for about 15 minutes. Remove and place on platter. Sprinkle turmeric over several different spots so it will give color it individual grains of rice; gently fluff with fork but take care not to mix it. Sprinkle parlsey to taste and then top with the warm chicken. May serve the pan juices on the side to be sopped up with bread or to put over your rice as you wish.

We served this with a simple green salad of romaine, cucumber, and tomato. Oh and of course additional lemon was available tableside. :-) It was heartily enjoyed by all masha'allah! Except me... I had to go to the hospital (imagine that! lol) and missed the yummy dinner. Really more than the eating I like to watch my family enjoying it. Alhamdulillah I could see it went over really well.

Enjoy and ma salaam...

2 comments:

Banana Anne said...

That looks so delicious Masha'Allah! I would probably use chicken breasts instead of thighs, though; I've always been a white meat kind of girl :). I'm sorry you had to go to the hospital last night; Insha'Allah you're feeling better and ALLAH will heal you quickly.

Umm Aaminah said...

Salaam sister! I prefer white meat also but my family likes dark and well... it's cheaper too! ;-) Alhamdulillah I am doing ok and praise Allah for it all!

Ma salaama...