March 17, 2010
A'salaamu alaikum ya'll! This could be a new southernism but only for southern US Muslims, obviously. :-) I wanted to post this photo of Aaminah and when I looked at it, so many southern sayings popped into my mind I knew I needed to share. :-)
1. I could just eat you up! Translation: You are most probably the sweetest thing I have ever seen. :-) This is what I thought when I saw this pic of Aaminah.
2. Look at that sh*t eatin' grin. Translation: You look mischievious. Yes, this is a real bona-fide southern saying.
3. Oh bless her heart! Translation: How I pity you and/or revel in your distress but in order to appear sweet and genteel I can't say so. lol
4. Well I'd rather do ______ than get a kick in the head. Translation: Self-explanatory.
5. I ain't seen you in a month of Sundays. (Pronounced: I ain't seen you in uh month uh Sundees.) Translation: Wow, I can't believe how long it's been since we spoke last!
6. Why, he's mean as a striped snake. (Pronounced: Why, he's mean as a stripe-ed snake.) Translation: Don't mess with that guy. lol
7. Well, they! Translation: You must be kidding me!
8. You're as useless as tits on a bull. Translation: Uh, you're useless. :-D
Here's an impromptu vocab lesson: "layg" and "ayg" are leg and egg and "flair" is both flour and flower.
Please remember when saying these (if you were to ever want to do so!) that you must draw out all vowel sounds. Otherwise you will just sound crazy. :-)
I know there are many more but I think I'm losing my southern-ness. :-( Now Aaminah says "Hi" and "Bye" instead of "Haiiii" and "Bahhh". My baby is gonna have a northern accent. Nooooooooooooooooo!