Followers

March 15, 2010

So many kids, so little space!


My crazy-haired, just-woke-up little girl. Melts my heart. :-)

A'salaamu alaikum ya'll! So as you know we have 6 kids between us, 4 living with us. Alhamdulillah we have a 3 bedroom apartment at the present so things are a little tight. :-) Of course, Aaminah and I literally brought enough stuff with us to fill an entire 2 bedroom apartment. How to consolidate?

Some things are easy and just make sense. For example I have a really nice leather sofa, recliner and love seat I bought before Aami was born. I had my little Nova at the time (rat terrier mix dog) and I didn't want his hair to stick on my furniture. A's furniture has seen a better day so alright, compromise accomplished.

Now he also was living kind of a bachelor's existence in term of his decorating style. Once again, easy to find the balance. I have knick-knacks and bric-a-brac galore. Well not really overkill (I like to purge my stuff sometimes) but I definitely have some nice decorative elements. They are still not up on the walls but you know, halfway there. :-)

Harder are the things that aren't replacing others. Our clothes for instance. I am ashamed to say I have quite a collection. Ashamed because I wear about 10% of what I own and that is a generous estimate. I have a few pre-Islam clothes (very few) and then the "convert" look which is 3 or 4 long, slit-less denim skirts and long tunic tops. Then there are my Indian clothes I bought when I was in India in 2006; I have probably 10 shalwar kameez outfits. Add to that my collection of abayaat and galabeya and...well you know.

We won't even DISCUSS hijabs!!! The funny thing is, I wear only the long stretch tie-back khimars. They fit comfortably, are plain and modest, and for sure cover my chest. I really have no need of any of the beautiful hijabs I have but it's a sickness, what can I say. lol

As you can see in the photo I have put a nice container system up for Aaminah's toys.A verrrry small portion of them. I still have to find a place for her play kitchen (brand new, from my family, only played with twice before we moved) and many others things. Anyway this system lets her see her toys and play with them AND just as importantly, help pick up when she is finished. I would encourage anyone with children to use these storage bins they can easily access for toys. I bought this for only $25 used from Craigs List. Great resource for families on a budget. Oh and don't be ridiculous and go alone to someone's home or let them in yours. Meet in a public place, blah blah blah. lol

Ma salaama....

No comments: