Followers

August 21, 2010

Delicious...not! :-)


A'salaamu alaikum ya'll. So yeah this isn't really an earth-shattering post but I just don't want anyone else to make the same breakfast mistake I did.

Aaminah is really limited as to what "typical" breakfast foods she can eat because of her egg allergy. So hashbrowns or fried potatoes are one of her favorite foods. I call them baby frenchfries btw to get her excited. lol

So what happened? I got lazy. I thought I could shave a few minutes off prep time by using the fresh "Simply Potatoes" brand pre-cut/shredded potatoes in the egg aisle.

Yeah. Bad idea. I ended up throwing an entire bag away. I had bought two in my zealousness to avoid a little work in the am. Really these taste like preservatives. Which come on, who was I kidding? Fresh potatoes, peeled, and NOT turning black? They gotta be SOAKED in them.

Anyway moral of this story is, please don't buy them if you like to actually taste potato and not chemicals. :-)

Ma salaama!

7 comments:

Banana Anne said...

Bleagh! That's too bad about the potatoes. And Masha'Allah, the term "baby french fries" is so cute!

Wow, that must be really tough to have a food allergy so something so common.

JV said...

Assalamualikum Dear Sis. I found you commenting on fffb and clicking on your name got me here to your wonderful blog. I must say, I read through each and every post of yours and am very touched. I am blessed with a wonderful husband and four beautiful kids, Alhamdulillah. I recently started blogging and would love to keep in touch with you. That's why I just became your blog follower! You can visit me at http://nara-saz.blogspot.com/. I also have a cooking blog(Indian/Pakistani and everything in between:>)and I thought you might find something interesting in there as you have a passion for cooking good food. http://mummyscookbook.blogspot.com/
Hope you are feeling better! Ramadan Kareem.

Umm Aaminah said...

Salaam ya'll! @ Anne, thanks, it is hard sometimes to cook for her. Pancakes, regular cooked eggs, alot of casseroles, meatloaf, etc... So a bit more of a challenge! But alhamdulillah she doesn't have a life-threatening allergy so I don't have to panic if she accidentally ingests a bit.

@ JV I am so happy to make new friends in our ummah. :-) And yes I love to cook and especially try my hand at indo-pak cuisine. I can't wait til I get some time tonight to check out your blogs. :-)

Stephanie said...

Yusef also has an egg allergy. Right now it hasn't been much of an issue since he's so little and on a limited diet for his seizures anyway, but yeah I'm sure it will be more of a challenge when he gets older.
I've had those potatoes before and I didn't think they were that bad. You do have a point about the preservatives though. I hadn't thought about thqat.

Umm Aaminah said...

@ Steph: You know, I have a friend whose little girl is allergic to (get this): dairy, wheat, and eggs. I think nuts also but not +. I mean, what can she eat??

I had them once before too and they were ok but they were the shredded type and these are the cubes. Maybe more surface area= more nasty taste?

Anonymous said...

Salam...I love your blog and your sense of humor! I know I'm posting a little late...but I think if my daughter couldn't have her "cheese eggs," which is what she calls omelets, I think she would die. I feel bad for people who have food allergies. That's why we should always be thankful for every little blessings we have that we take for granted.
Just wanted to comment :) Eid Mubarak and may Allah reward us and show us all the straight path...Ameen
Faten

Umm Aaminah said...

Jazaki allahu khair Sis Faten and thanks for reading and commenting! :-)

I have a friend who's little girl can't eat wheat, dairy, eggs... the list goes on and on. It's really hard for her subhanallah.

My youngest son is a "cheese egg" lover too, I know exactly what you mean!

Ma salaama sis...