Followers

August 13, 2010

Ramadhan journal: Days 2 and 3 :-0

A'salaamu alaikum ya'll. Nothing like a little procrastination. I was soooo exhausted last night just couldn't make myself sit down to post. Anywho, here it is.

Day 2:

Really still getting adjusted to the fasting thing. I mean it isn't hard mentally and I don't feel like I am starving all day but my body is rebelling a little. Super tired; I know that is nothing amazing, we all do that, just telling you.

Our iftar and suhoor were basically the same except I used beef cubes for the shorba instead of chicken. I can say the smell of the frying beef (I brown it before I add it to the shorba) was mouth-watering. I am a cow lover for sure!

Ibadah: Still about the same. I did read some things online for extra knowledge but I still found myself just trying to get everything done. Of course made all my prayers on time and did one sunnah prayer. I really need to step up in this area!

Overall: I think I now scored a solid C because I didn't lose my temper with the kids the same. :-) So that raised it a little but without the extra ibadah, what is my Ramadhan going to profit me?

Day 3: Went to jumah prayer alhamdulillah. Had an awesome khutba on controlling our tongues. The khateeb used a specific hadith about a sahabi who had fallen in a battle, martyred for the cause of Allah, and even then while he was literally starving. So hungry he tired a stone to his stomach subhanallah.

When the other sahaba found him they were exclaiming how beautiful that their fallen brother was in jannah. Rasoolallah (saws) overheard them and gave them the admonition that they don't know what word might have left his mouth that would take him to the hellfire. He cautioned against rejoicing about someone being in Jannah when all it takes is a single word, ill-spoken of your brother, to send you to jahanam.

Subhanallah. He also said that we don't know what one word we utter can drag us to the flames for 70 years. This is indeed a scary thought and one that should help us guard our tongues!

We tried to attend taraweeh at the masjid but subhanallah Aaminah was so tired she just couldn't last. The babysitting there was packed and some of the kids were so wild; I couldn't put her in there. Alhamdulillah my husband offered to leave instead of me having to sit with her and try to rock her in some hard tiled corner. We will insha'Allah wake up and pray taraweeh here together as a family.

I used to love to go to the masjid in Knoxville but here subhanallah it is really divided along racial/ethnic background lines. I am not used to this to such an extent. I had to sit at a table alone tonight to break my fast because I am not a) egyptian b) indo-pak c) somalian or b) indonesian. Really it breaks my heart to see division in our ummah like this. I give my salaams and of course there are some good sisters who, despite race, behave like sisters but to be truthful its few and far between.

Nights such as this I really miss my humble little masjid in Knoxville and may Allah swt bless them ameen.

OK so you are updated now on my Ramadhan activities. I am exhausted AGAIN and will go to bed now. Insha'allah you and yours are having a beautiful and fruitful Ramadhan!

Ma salaama...

No comments: